Biogen Idec is using science to address some of the world’s most pressing medical challenges, and the medicines we develop make a meaningful impact on the lives of patients.
- Our collaborations with some of the world’s leading academic institutions and scientists are accelerating insights into a number of the most devastating and hard to treat diseases, like Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and Parkinson’s disease.
- We are the leader in multiple sclerosis (MS) research. We developed the leading oral treatment for MS, the leading high-efficacy treatment, the leading interferon-based platform therapy and the first-twice monthly interferon-based therapy.
- We developed the first significant advances for the treatment of hemophilia A and hemophilia B in more than 15 years.
- Our mid-to-late stage pipeline has more than a half-dozen programs, each of which—if proven safe and effective—has the potential to significantly change the standard of care in their respective disease areas.
As a global organization dedicated to improving the well-being of others, our commitments to our patients, our communities and the world at large go beyond simply discovery and delivering important treatment advances.
- We are committed to ensuring that all patients can access the therapies we develop, and we provide hundreds of millions of dollars in free medicines, while continuously expanding our patient access and support programs. In 2014, with Swedish Orphan Biovitrum AB, we announced our intent to donate up to one billion international units of clotting factor therapy for humanitarian aid programs in the developing world.
- We are committed to improving the scientific literacy of students through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education. Our Biogen Idec Foundation is creating initiatives globally to reach the youngest learnings all the way up to those pursuing careers in life sciences.
- We are committed to environmental sustainability. Biogen Idec is the second most sustainable company as ranked on the Global 100 Index and is the only biotechnology company listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index.
- We are committed to diversity and equality in our workplaces and our community. Over the past several years, Biogen Idec has made significant advancements in supporting a diverse workforce and promoting a more inclusive culture. In 2013, we achieved a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equality Index, which also named us one of its Best Places to Work.