Providing access to our therapies is fundamental to Biogen Idec’s mission. Our aim is to ensure that no one is denied treatment due to financial limitations. Through the ActiveAccessTM program, Biogen Idec helps patients and caregivers through a variety of financial assistance programs.
We offer a comprehensive set of services to help patients find the most affordable way to start and stay on prescribed therapies. Our ActiveSourceTM Coordinators help patients and their caregivers understand their insurance coverage as well as any out-of-pocket costs. Additionally, Biogen Idec’s ActiveAccess program provides tailored assistance for people facing a range of financial situations while taking one of our medications. Specifically, we have programs to assist people who are uninsured, privately insured, and insured through public programs, such as Medicare.
ActiveAccess’ financial assistance and insurance services for individuals who have been prescribed Biogen Idec's medications include:
- Benefit investigation to help understand and determine the best coverage options for patients, including assistance with prior authorizations and denied claims;
- Insurance counseling for the uninsured and underinsured to help with obtaining adequate coverage, such as Medigap, COBRA and Medicaid;
- Support navigating the U.S. healthcare reform law (Affordable Care Act) to help patients take full advantage of new coverage benefits;
- Enrolling eligible patients in the ActiveAccess copay assistance programs in which patients pay as little as $10 a month for their drug costs;
- Helping patients find assistance through charitable organizations to cover items such as premiums, copays and transportation needs; and
- Providing free medication to eligible patients in need.
In 2011, Biogen Idec contributed $284 million in financial support through our free drug program, copay assistance and charitable donations.