Our goal is to ensure that no one is denied treatment due to financial limitations. Through the ActiveAccessTM program, Biogen Idec helps patients and caregivers through a variety of financial assistance programs.
We offer a comprehensive set of services to help patients find the most affordable way to start and stay on prescribed therapies. Our ActiveSourceTM Coordinators help patients and their caregivers understand their insurance coverage and any out-of-pocket costs. Additionally, Biogen Idec’s ActiveAccess program provides tailored assistance for people facing a range of financial situations while taking one of our medications. Specifically, we have programs to assist people who are uninsured, people who are privately insured, and people insured through public programs, such as Medicare.
ActiveAccess’ financial assistance and insurance services for people prescribed Biogen Idec's medications include:
- Benefit investigation to help understand and determine the best coverage options for patients, including assistance with prior authorizations and denied claims;
- Insurance counseling for the uninsured and underinsured to help with obtaining adequate coverage, such as Medigap, COBRA and Medicaid;
- Support in navigating the new health care reform law to help patients take full advantage of new coverage benefits;
- Enrolling eligible patients in the ActiveAccess co-pay assistance programs in which patients pay as little as $10 a month for their drug costs;
- Helping patients find assistance through charitable organizations to cover items such as premiums, co-pays and transportation needs; and
- Providing free medication to eligible patients in need.
In 2010, Biogen Idec contributed $295 million in financial support through our free drug program, co-pay assistance and charitable donations.