BIOGEN IDEC FOUNDATION
IGNITE THE POWER OF STEM
Competitive Grant Program
To celebrate the convening of the Massachusetts STEM Summit, the Biogen Idec Foundation will award $80,000 in grants to support science education programs and projects run by elementary, middle and high schools represented at the 2014 Massachusetts STEM Summit.
Up to 40 Ignite the Power of STEM grants will be awarded to teachers and schools as follows:
- $2,000 for Teachers
- $5,000 for Schools
Programs should be designed to:
- Promote science literacy in innovative ways among students
- Enable teachers to bring new, exciting hands-on science experiences to their students
- Encourage underserved youth with potential to pursue science as a career
- Create excitement about STEM topics within the classroom setting
- Inspire students to consider pursuing STEM careers
We will accept applications from full-time professional personnel from public and charter schools located in Massachusetts that had at least one individual from their school district registered for or in attendance at the MA STEM Summit on October 22, 2014.
The Ignite the Power of STEM grants will be awarded on a one-time basis. The Foundation will consider a broad range of projects, as long as they expand and enhance science education at the elementary, middle and high school levels.
Grants will be awarded to teachers and schools that present proposals that incorporate new and innovative methods to enhance the teaching of science. Funds may be used for:
- Purchase of laboratory materials or classroom technology enhancements for use by students in hands-on experimentation
- Fee to cover the stipend for an expert to speak to a science class
- Purchase of books, workbooks, lab manuals, etc. not covered by regular instructional budget (not replacement of textbooks covered by school budget)
- Transportation for students to participate in field trips to science museums, Biogen Idec Community Lab, or other programs of scientific interest
- Admission fees for classes on educational field trips to science museums, botanical gardens, zoological gardens, etc.
- Curricular materials or other needs for regular classroom, after-school, or summer science programs
Review and Selection Process
Grants will be awarded following review by an independent committee, which will include representatives from Biogen Idec, the Biogen Idec Foundation and UMass Donahue Institute.
In considering applications, the selection committee will give priority to efforts that:
- Are “out of the box,” innovative and promote new ways of teaching STEM to inspire students
- Have clear goals and measurable outcomes consistent with the science education mission of the Biogen Idec Foundation
- Emphasize the life sciences particularly biology, neuroscience and biotechnology
- Are likely to have a positive impact on a significant number of youth
- Are likely to be sustainable after the initial grant period ends
The selection committee will give special consideration to efforts that target underserved youth, including students from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Teachers and schools that receive a grant will be asked to submit a brief summary at the end of the grant period outlining how funds were spent, what was accomplished as a result of the grant, extent to which project goals were achieved, and lessons learned.
Feedback in the form of videos, photos, notes from students and faculty, etc. is welcomed and much appreciated by the Biogen Idec Foundation!
- Applications will be accepted from October 22, 2014 through 5 p.m. on Friday, January 16, 2015.
- Grants will be awarded by February 16, 2015 and are to be expended by December 31, 2015.
- Proposals are welcome from full-time professional personnel from public or charter schools in Massachusetts in districts that had at least one attendee or registrant at the MA STEM Summit held on October 22, 2014.
TO APPLY: please fill out the form below.
Applications will be accepted from October 22, 2014 through 5 p.m. on Friday, January 16, 2015. Grants will be awarded by February 16, 2015 and are to be expended by December 31, 2015.
Thank you for your interest in the Ignite the Power of STEM Grants Program!