Dear Fellow Stakeholders,
In 2012, Biogen Idec realized remarkable accomplishments in all areas of our operations: We provided meaningful therapies to more people than ever before; brought multiple potential new treatments through development and closer to patients in need; and enhanced our Pharmaceutical Operations and Technology (PO&T) organization to improve production efficiencies.
The transformation of our company has both enabled us and required us to take a fresh look at how we do our work – and that includes corporate citizenship. We have recently developed a strategic approach to securing our place in society, with a strong focus on philanthropy and community engagement, while maintaining sharp focus on our impact on the environment. As Biogen Idec grows as a leading corporate citizen, our commitment is becoming more global, more focused and more reflective of our values and those of the people we serve.
We have embraced our growth as an opportunity to elevate our citizenship efforts and to incorporate them directly into our culture and our business activities. With the help of our more than 6,000 employees worldwide, we will continue to exemplify high standards and create economic, social and environmental value for our company and our stakeholders. This is part of what it means to be a truly great organization.
This Corporate Citizenship Report highlights our performance, accomplishments and plans to continually improve our commitment to the community and environment. Highlights include:
- A restructured Biogen Idec Foundation, resulting
in an enhanced and expanded focus on science education at all academic levels;
- The achievement, several years ahead of schedule, of our goal to reduce our overall environmental footprint by 15 percent;
- An expanded global scope for our Care Deeply Volunteer Day, which encourages employees to give back to their communities;
- A fresh corporate Code of Conduct that is based on principles rather than rules, and that is deeply rooted in the values we live by; and
- A continued internal cultural transformation that has strengthened company diversity and inclusion and work-life balance initiatives.
As a result of these focused efforts, we have achieved listing on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the third year in a row.
We are proud of our record, and appreciate your interest in Biogen Idec and our commitment to the communities where we operate. I hope that upon reading this, our fourth corporate citizenship report, you will agree that the values it portrays offer an apt description of how we approach this important aspect of our business and reflect our credo:
Care Deeply. Work Fearlessly. Change Lives.
George A. Scangos, Ph.D.
Chief Executive Officer