Our employees have the opportunity to participate in employee resource networks (ERNs) for people with shared characteristics or life experiences. Our primary ERNs are the Women’s Innovation Network, ReachOUT, and Mosaic. All supporters are welcome to join any network to help advance the inclusion of others.
Women's Innovation Network
More than half of Biogen Idec’s employees are women, and we are committed to ensuring they are fully included, engaged, and valued at all levels our company. The Women’s Innovation Network (WIN) provides opportunities for women to network, learn, seek mentors, and develop their careers. The WIN also helps us build representation of women in senior leadership positions.
The WIN has approximately 1,200 members, both women and men, in chapters at all our major Biogen Idec offices worldwide. Activities include:
- Career and networking events that develop capabilities and build capacity for women’s leadership
- Inspirational events that celebrate women’s contributions to innovation and success
- Women’s leadership conferences held periodically at our U.S. and European sites
- Partnerships with women's professional organizations relevant to our industry, including Women in Bio and Healthcare Businesswomen's Association
ReachOUT is our network for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) employees, along with their straight allies. This organization works to increase awareness and acceptance of the LGBTQ community within Biogen Idec, support a best-in-class working environment for LGBTQ employees, and exemplify our commitment to social responsibility and innovation.
Our company has a long history of supporting workplace equality for all employees regardless of sexual orientation. Within the U.S., our policies and actions include:
- Full federal tax-benefit equality for all employees. Currently employees who reside in states that do not recognize same-sex marriage face an unfair burden on health benefits for their domestic partners. We consider this tax policy to be discriminatory, so we reimburse our employees for taxes assessed on their domestic partners’ coverage.
- Enhanced benefit programs to better support the health of our transgender employees.
- Corporate sponsorship of the Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD), Human Right Campaign (HRC), Pride Boston and Pride Durham.
- Support for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). In 2012, we were one of the first and few businesses to call for the end of this discriminatory legislation.
- Support for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), a federal bill that would prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Multiculturalism is the focus of Mosaic, our newest ERN to promote networking and development opportunities. The group fosters awareness, appreciation, and collaboration by allowing members to develop a richer understanding of each other’s cultural heritages and identities.
Our U.S. chapters have attracted both immigrants and people who trace their American ancestry back generations, while our European chapters celebrate the diversity of often dozens of nations in a single worksite.
In addition to the above groups, we offer Diversity +& Inclusion affiliations and task forces for our employees who are nurses, veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, and professionals in our Information Technology, Legal, and U.S. Medical Affairs teams.